In 1775, a few good men got together at Tun Tavern in the city of brotherly love. Such were the humble beginnings of one of the most famous fighting forces that the world has ever known. They formed a “company of men”, much like that that St. Ignatius Loyola had formed 235 years earlier. Although the missions might have been different, the underlying principles of God, Country, Corps and the motto Semper Fidelis could easily describe both organizations on the 239th anniversary of their founding. Not so much these day, but that will be the subject of not one post on this blog. What’s fair to say is that the Marine Corps has been successful, so successful in fact that the Jesuits, an organization 235 year their senior, have sometimes been referred to a the pope’s Marines. Funny that.
But getting back to the story line. Anyone who has seen the above footprints, knows exactly where they reside. They can be in only one of two locations: in front of the Receiving Barracks at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego or the Receiving Barracks at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. For all Marines, this is where the journey begins.
And to those who have stood in these footprints, and 72 training days later have earned the title of United States Marine, S. Armaticus salutes you!
Semper Fi, Devil Dogs!